Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day 5 PINK SATURDAY!

How cute is this little one? Just perfect for Pink Saturday!
I imagine this is what Beverly of How Sweet the Sound looks like running around getting all our Pink Saturday names organized!! hehehe!!
This week Miss Beverly has asked us all to share about our favorite holiday memory! I come from a family where Christmas was and is HUGE!! We usually opened Christmas presents with my mom's parents on Christmas Eve then on Christmas Day we opened the gifts from my Dad's parents since they lived in Maine and we were in NC. The year after my Mom's mom passed away we went to Maine for Christmas and there were about 13 of us all there on Christmas morning. With so many people our stockings were brown paper grocery bags where EVERY little thing was wrapped, down to packages of gum. Plus when we got to the actual gifts under the tree, you had to watch each present being opened and oh and ah over the gift. It took us THIRTEEN hours to open all the presents. We had to break for breakfast and lunch!! hehehe! To a 10 year old....it was awesome! I don't really remember any of the presents, just the family all together in my Grandparents living room with the big tree decorated all in blue with the aluminum foil lining the walls behind the tree to make the lights reflect back into the room. That is the gift I will always remember, especially since most of the family that was there have since passed away.
I can't wait to visit and read everyone else's memories! Thank you for letting me share mine!!

16 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Jenny, Cute post...My family would never sit still for that many hours of present opening... Do hope you have time to stop over at my place for a visit...
Merry Christmas
xoxo
Julie

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Oh, WOW, that's a lot of hours to wait until you can play with your toys!!

I'm enjoying your holiday cards every day!

Have a wonderful PiNk Saturday!

Hugs,
Marsha

Mollye said...

Happy Pink Saturday and like you said the gifts themselves are not remembered as much as the gift of family being together! Hugs, Mollye

♥Mimi♥ said...

On this first Saturday of December ♥Jappy Pink Saturday♥. I was away for a while and sure missed running around the blogs arnd seeing all of the goodies everyone was sharing.

Thanks for the memory...

It was a blessing for you to make my morning so much fun. Hoping that you and those you care about spend a wonderful weekend making memories that will last a lifetime☺

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

what a fabulous story:) thanks so much for sharing!

wishing you a very happy holiday season ♥

Julie Harward said...

Thanks for the memories...gee where have I heard that before! LOL Our son in law's family opens all the gifts on Christmas eve! I don't know what they do on Christmas day!
Come say hi :D

Betty said...

What a sweet memory Jenny! I come from a big family too and can remember the days when it took hours to open the presents. Now we do a gift exchange and I always feel sorry for my nieces and nephews for not having that memory. Silly, huh?!
Happy Pink Saturday!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Thank you Jenny!! I think the link should be working now... I don't know what happens to that link... I always have trouble posting it... Have a great weekend! xo Vanessa

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Love your blog! Wow that's a lot of hours to sit.

Debbie

Tara said...

13 hours? Now THAT sounds like a good time! We used to have stocking stuffers as a kid too. it was my favorite part!Happy Pink and have a great weekend!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a nice memory to carry with you. It sounds like you come from an amazing family. I hope you are having a great day and are looking forward to the holiday.

Lisa said...

Great memory!! What fun Christmas is!!
Thanks for the cute pic and the call today!
Hugs, Lisa

Beverly said...

Jenny, Happy Pink Saturday. I'm thinking a little pink scooter would be helpful.

I love your Christmas memory. I can imagine the love and excitement filling the room. I am an only child, and we lived in another state than our family, but my parents always made Christmas special, too.

Mermaids of the Lake said...

Love your story! Merry Christmas!

Mermaid Debbie

Char said...

I come from a small family of four. My parents and a brother. I think any family is a gift, but a large family is special. You were very lucky to be surrounded by so much love and warmth. I think the brown bag is great, what fun, but I can see it would take a very long time to finish. Happy Pink Saturday and thankyou so much for visiting my blog, as you can see, I am still making my rounds, Char

Kaye said...

That WAS quite a Christmas! Ed and I struggle with Christmas because we both came from families that did it BIG and so do we. . . We try to cut back, but man that is hard!